Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Unlearning

This morning I read an article with Willow and Jaden Smith. It was, for me, an incredibly beautiful interview about life, art and process.

It had me thinking about the things we learn or are taught about what it means to be successful. Much of that was foreign to me, and it rarely felt right.

Our caregivers, parents or whomever is reared us did the best they can with what they have. Most times. It is done with love.

I believe that.

I also believe the true learning process starts sometime thereafter.

Experience.

No one can teach us that. Books and things help, but for me it has always about the feeling.

I need to feel it. I want to know how it felt to you.

Not on a surface level, but deep down in your soul.

That is living.

That is learning.

That's where I am.