Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Doing The Work!

Let me first start off by saying that I do not consider myself to be a “hard” worker. Rarely do I burn the midnight oil working. Many many times in my life it has been pointed out how “slow” my pace is, and how it doesn’t seem like I exert much energy. Since being rushed rarely jives with me, I choose to allot enough time to daydream, procrastinate and fuck off when doing my work. Whatever that work may be at the time. For so many years I thought something was wrong with me because even the things that excite rarely altered my pace. When I glance in the mirror I see a very passionate person, so desire and passion part haven’t been a problem. Then I realized that nothing is indeed wrong with me ( at least not in terms of this topic), and I do not need to work like everyone (or anyone) else. My process is my process. It by enlarge works for me. Perfection does not exist, so there have been times where my pace has come back to bite me in the ass. I mean like take an extremely large chunk with it. The recognition that I do not work “hard” has allowed me to adjust my thinking and methods. I believe in working smart, and maximizing my efforts and energy.

Over the last week I made some adjustments to my routine and have reaped amazing benefits. I have always been a morning person, but since I am an artist it has somehow become a thing that I am supposed to stay up late because that is when creativity is at its highest. That doesn’t work for me. For one I am freshest first thing in the morning, so this week I’ve made a point to do my Brooklyn walks first thing in the morning. Then when I get back to put in work writing and creating before my job starts. A couple things happen when I have worked this way. One, I can focus on work when I start instead of fixating on what creative work I need to do later on, and B I am not drained mentally from putting in a full day’s work. There is no decompression or unwinding period necessary. This is what works best for me, and I am good with that. Each person has to find their way, and tinker with it as you see fit. It is not about anyone else. It is all up to you.


A few days have now elapsed since I began writing this post (oh the irony). So many different things and ideas have come up as to how and if to finish. Yeah! Vulnerability and its place in my work and life arose. First realization…I am not good at it. Second…I would like to work on the first, and C sometimes, most times…well there are times when we need to let people in to help us with said work. I am not good at that either. Patience…working on that too, but I am so much better than I was. Lastly the things that were really reinforced…enjoy the ride, live life fully and don’t succumb to fear. Work can and should be enjoyable, especially since this type of an exploration is an ongoing process. 

0 comments: