Person X: Uh you know aches and pains
Person 1: That is part of Life once you hit your 40s
Or
Person C: What been up?
Person 2: Not feeling that great, but that’s to be expected at this age
These are conversations I’ve been hearing (or having) a lot lately.
Well varying degrees of these conversations. It is very easy to get sucked into a way of thinking of how life is supposed to be once we hit a certain age. It is like I mentioned in an earlier post we chose to live within the margins of Life without questioning why it is we say what we say or believe what we believe. When alternatives are offered it is often met with resistance, you know the “easier said than done” argument.
It is exhausting…
It wears on you…
And then…
It creeps into YOUR psyche… You begin to believe it…you groan when you get out of chair (even shit don’t hurt). You begin to look for ailments and squint like you can’t see the shit you know you can see. You know better, but you begin to believe that it is in fact too damn hard.
The thing is if you keep expecting it chances are it will show up.
Disclaimer: this is not literal and results may vary, so expecting a million dollar check alone will not bring it into fruition.
So all of this is because I have been expecting certain things to happen (subconsciously that is). I had my family health “history” so hammered into my skull that I just assumed and anticipated certain things were inevitable. I changed my dietary habits to ease, but deep down I expected and accepted it. My bad.
I used to believe the saying “once you know better you do better”, but complacency is a helluva drug. It needs and feeds off of acceptance. It allows you to be comfortable with a “little bit” of pain physically and then crashes parties in other parts of your mind. Little by little things that would never have been acceptable are now common place. Mediocrity consumes most of your days and you are okay with that, because well that is what happens when you hit a certain age…job, life, health…nothing is supposed to change once you hit a certain age.
My name is Mark Anthony Benson and I’m becoming complacent!
0 comments:
Post a Comment