Sunday, April 7, 2013

Revealing Oneself

So yesterday I had my first date since I've been back to NYC. There was the usual (well for me at least)  nervous jitters type of thing happening. Will I make a good impression? Does my breath stink? Why did I forget to put on deodorant? You know the mind races all over the place. My mind naturally races and wanders and creates scenarios that are sometimes productive but can also be a distraction for me. We went to see the Basquiat exhibit at the Gagosian art gallery; yesterday was the last day and I wanted to see it one last time before it left. Then we went to Williamsburg for Thai food after walking around Manhattan a little bit. The conversation flowed pretty easily. It was good to be on a date with a woman who is extremely interesting, funny, beautiful and intelligent. The whole situation was very comfortable. Even the moments of silence were not awkward.

Anyway, when I initially met her there was definitely an attraction there, but my inner 7th grader came back and the words just didn't seem to flow right at first. I stumbled about trying to express myself. The thing that I noticed immediately was that she was assertive without being pushy or aggressive. It was a confidence about her, and that confidence was still evident on our date. During the course of our date I felt the urge to just let it all out. There was an honesty about her that helped me put my guard down. I am notoriously guarded about sharing my feelings. Add that to my commitment issues, and that more explains my singleness. Ok, I digressed and threw in a sympathy moment. Yeah, her energy was dope, and even on the areas which didn't seem to immediately compatible there was openness to the discussion that didn't make it seem that much of an issue after all.

Sometimes we meet people whose mere presence helps us to feel at ease. Their energy and warmth create a space that is conducive to sharing. The thing is if they are sincere they may not recognize that they have that type power. She has it, and if she knows it she does't let on. The thing is I'm enjoying the moment and not looking  to far into the future and setting expectations based on some fantasy of how shit should be, but allowing it to just be. Which is how life should be in all of our relationships and experiences. Not that we go tell everything to everyone, but when we find that space where we can be vulnerable and open...do it. If you don't find a person then blog, journal or whatever. Create a space that you can just be so when you find a person who opens up your soul you don't feel like you are burdening them with your life story.

Peace,
MAB

0 comments: